Join our Community in its new Home - The Datorama Trailblazer Community Group!

It's been an amazing 3 years coming together in this forum to collaborate, innovate, support, and inspire each other about our shared usage of Datorama. While this is not quite a goodbye, we are excited to announce that we are getting a fresh start in our new home within the Salesforce Trailblazer Community. We have a ton of fun new content planned and you may even see the revival of some of our most popular posts from the past few years.

We’ll be keeping this group around for a bit for you to peruse, but as of November 15, we will no longer be allowing new posts or comments. Be sure to join our new group at https://www.salesforce.com/success-datorama to keep the conversation going.

We can’t wait to see you there!

Parent-Child relationship - accessing parent/child data stream dimensions/harmonization in code

Comments

• jharrisjharris LondonSYS_ADMIN IMG42
    Hi @TD_Wilson, great questions!

To better understand how this works, it might help to give some background. When you ingest data into Datorama, it's automatically split up into several back-end tables, as per database structure best practices.

Even in a single standalone stream, it could look like this:
    • Campaign dimension table
    • Site dimension table
    • Media Buy dimension table
    • Fact table (contains Media Buy Key, days, measurements)
    In the setup structure you're describing, you can think of child streams as simply adding new data inside more fact tables. All of these fact tables are linked to data from the dimension tables, which are owned by the parent stream.

I have a calculated dimension that interrogates the dimensions in the Parent data stream to yield a value, and I want to do the same for the Child data stream.  But I am not sure how I reference the Parent's Attribute values programmatically, that were inherited by the Child Data Stream - is this possible, and if so, how?
    This is not something you need to specifically write for in your calculated dimensions. In fact you're doing this already. If you put that calculated dimension into a pivot table, then add a measurement that belongs to one of the child streams, you'll find it works as expected.

If I create a harmonized dimension against a dimension (pattern extraction or classification) that is in the Parent data stream, how is that harmonized dimension associated/related to the Child data stream, if at all?
    Same as above. You don't need to specifically write this for the child stream, because the parent and child streams are effectively part of the same data set. If you do the same experiment I described above, you'll find it works.

Hope that helps! Let me know any further questions.

Cheers,
    Josh